Whether it’s for school or for work, sharing files and documents through the Internet is an important thing that most people will encounter while studying or working. Because of advancements on the Internet and in technology in general, it is now easier to share files and documents with other people and even groups. It is now possible to upload files like documents, videos, and even songs on social media and chat messaging apps. In addition, it only now takes a few taps and a few minutes to send links to various files from one person to another.
Because file sharing is so important for many of us, some people have developed and found several ways to share files and documents using links. This article will explain what these file sharing methods are along with the steps on how to do them.
First Method: Use a Website
Using a website for file sharing is not the first thing that would come into people’s minds when they want to send files and documents through links. While most people are not aware of it, it is actually possible to use a website to create links to files that could be shared with other people. Just like converting one file format to another, there are many websites that allow users to share files with other people through links, such as GogoPDF. Most websites that offer this service share the same steps on creating links for file sharing, such as these steps on how to use GogoPDF for file sharing:
- Choose the file or document that you wish to be shared by clicking the “Select a File” button or by dragging and dropping the file from your computer to the website.
- Next, you may click the “Share File” button to start the process.
- You may either copy the link to the file and paste it to a text, message, or email or create an email with the link and a personalized message before sending it.
- The recipient may then download the file through the link or continue sharing it through social media, chat messaging apps, and other software and platforms on the Internet.
The biggest advantage of using a website like GogoPDF to share files is that you won’t need to create an account just to use their service. All you need to do is to load the website on any browser on any mobile device or computer, upload the file, and share the link to the file with your friends, classmates, and co-workers. With these websites, file sharing becomes less complicated and easier to do.
Second Method: Use Google Drive
Many people are already familiar with Google Drive along with other services provided by Google, such as Google Docs and Google Sheets. After all, these services are widely used in both schools and offices all over the world. While you may store almost all types of files on Google Drive, such as songs, videos, and even slideshows, you can share files and documents through a Google Drive link and even download them using the link.
Aside from that, it is relatively simple to generate a link for sharing files through Google Drive, and while the steps that will be provided below usually apply for Google Docs, Slides, and Sheets opened on a web browser on a computer, it is possible to generate a link to share files using Google Drive and its related services through an Android device. Nonetheless, here are the following steps to share files from Google Drive on a computer:
- Choose the file from your Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides that you want to share. Make sure that you are logged in to your Google account before doing this.
- Once the document or file is opened, click the “Share” button in the upper right-hand corner of the webpage.
- On the “Get Link” pop-up window, click “Change to anyone with the link.”
- Change the restrictions for the recipient of the link. You could choose if he or she could either just view, comment, or edit the file/document.
- After changing the restrictions for the link of the file, click Copy Link to copy the link.
- From there, you can paste the link to a message, text, email, or even social media post.
Third Method: Use Dropbox
Dropbox is another popular file sharing and cloud storage service that both students and employees love using. Dropbox has many of the features that most cloud storage services have, which include sharing files through links. Unlike Google Drive, the options to change restrictions on how to access the file are limited, and recipients are only allowed to view the file but not to comment or even edit it. Nonetheless, here are the steps on how to share files from Dropbox using a link:
- Sign in to your Dropbox account and then click “All Files” in the left sidebar.
- Choose the file or folder that you wish to be shared and click the share icon (person).
- You may either click “Create” if a link has not been created yet, or click “Copy Link” if a link has already been created.
- After copying the link, you may post or include it on a text, message, email, or even a social media post.
Sharing files is an important process that many people do as part of their work or studies. Therefore, there are many incentives for people to improve how we share files and documents with other people to make our lives easier. Each method of sharing files through links has its own share of advantages and disadvantages, but if you are convinced that a website is the best way to share and download files through links, then you can trust gogoPDF to do this for you. With this website, you can generate file-sharing links on any mobile device or computer without having to log in or create an account. Best of all, it’s easy and free to use, which is a huge benefit for anyone who wants to share links effortlessly and conveniently.